Quinoa and Lime Recipe
Hi all, This was the Quinoa and Lime recipe, provided with thanks by Christian Frisby, and served at the Bacardi 8k number pick up on Friday November 17th 2017.
- ½ to 1 cup mixed chopped seasonal vegetables (green bell pepper, carrot, onion, mushroom zucchini.)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp olive oil
- Coarse sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 small bunch parsley flat or curly, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tomato deseeded, and chopped
- 1 small/ medium apple, your choice, not too sweet
- ½ tbsp. of mixed cumin, ground fenugreek, cinnamon
- 1/3 cup dried chick peas soaked for 24 hrs., or ½ cup canned chick peas (put the rest in the freezer to avoid waste or use for hummus.)
- 4 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp. of honey depending on taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ a medium hot green chili if wanted
- Season the vegetables you wish to roast in olive oil, salt and pepper. Here you can pick and choose what you want, you could even use spring peas, avocado, asparagus. The point is to put a quantity of your choice of vegetables you like, as long as they do not drown out the quinoa.
- If using presoaked chick peas, they must soak around 24 hours to sprout (there will be no visible shoots, but this aids in digestion, plus softens the pea itself to make it more edible.) place the chick peas in a food processor and use the pulse setting to grind the peas to a course texture similar to the quinoa.
- Meanwhile, prepare the quinoa. Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh sieve to remove the bitter saponin coating. In a small saucepan, combine quinoa with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover the pan with a lid.
- Turn heat all the way to the lowest setting and cook covered for 15 minutes or until the water has completely absorbed in the quinoa.
- Turn off the heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove the lid and fluff the quinoa gently with a fork, and add the 1 ½ tsp of olive oil. Set aside.
- Toss the cooked quinoa, ground chick peas, and roast vegetables in a large bowl. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, prep the dressing. In a blender put the lime juice, Dijon mustard, garlic, honey, chili, salt pepper to taste. Slowly add in the olive oil into the blender on low. Whisk in the lemon juice. Pour into a jar and store in the fridge while you finish the salad.
- Remove the stems and coarsely chop the parsley. Add to the salad along with the chopped tomato, spices, and apples. Toss everything together.
- Toss the salad with desired amount of dressing (you'll likely have some leftover!) Enjoy immediately.
- Do not dress anything you don't intend to eat that day. This salad is best eaten immediately after being dressed, and at room temperature, so if you want leftovers, only toss what you will eat with the dressing.